I confess my favorite way to cook and eat okra is with minced meat or with goat meat. I will share those versions in future. Acharai bhindi/Okra is a delightful way of cooking and enjoying an all vegetarian meal. I am using fresh Okra but frozen okra can be used as well. It just takes a bit longer to cook.
Achari Bhindi is served with home made chappati - flat bread and salty lassi drink in peak summers.
Fenugreek Seeds(Methi Dana) - 1 tsp
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Add Okra/Bhindi to it and saute on high heat till the stickiness goes away and the okra becomes lightly brown. It will take around 10-15 mins. Fresh Okra will take less time, Frozen one takes longer to get rid of slimy stickiness.
- Once the okra is brown, add ginger Garlic Paste and cook it.
- Now add sliced tomatoes along with all the spices.
- After 3 minutes add sliced onions and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add a half cup of water and mix. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 8-10 mins over low heat. The aim is to soften the tomatoes and onions.
- Once the tomatoes and onions are well done, increase the heat to reduce down the extra water completely. The dish is done once the oil comes out on the sides.
- Switch off the stove and add juice of one large lemon. Garnish with fresh green chilies and serve with roti.